Friday, February 14, 2014

Giving of Your Love

Valentine's Day. 

Boxes of squished chocolate; bouquets of wilted flowers; stuffed teddy bears with eyes popping out; and valentine hearts, cards, and the like, bought with wasted money, are given to a beloved. Some gifts convey something genuine, but others are just empty feelings. 


Don't get me wrong, Valentine's Day isn't that bad! 

My family makes little hearts and cards of colored paper with sayings of funny, witty, or loving words to give one another. An extraordinary cake is made, candy is bestowed to little hands, or touching deeds are done for one person or another. But is that really what we should think about on this day? A day to remember to tell someone you love them? To give them some token of your love? Or do you just think about the candy that goes on sale after it's all over?

Come on, we all think about that! :)

Love. What exactly does this word “love” mean? Love is a self-sacrificing desire to meet the need of the one loved. We can love one another with a temporary love that is here for a time, then dies away. But God's love is permanent. He loves us so much that He sent His one and only Son to die on the cross for our sins. Christ's blood was shed for you and me. He died so that I could have eternal life with Him. But the best part is, He rose again. No, this isn't just a story for Easter, it's a story that you should hear every day of your life. A story that you should remember. A story that you should never weary of hearing. So, on this Valentine's Day, remember the One who loves you more than anyone. Remember what He did for you. Thank Him for it, and love Him with all your heart.

Happy Valentine's Day!



2 comments:

  1. It really is extraordinary how you can take a topic so complex as love, and then state it in such a beautiful and simple way. Thanks, Jessa! It's a great reminder!

    Oh, yeah... and I love you, sis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was wonderful, Jessa! Thank you for the reminder. God is love and we should never forget that! I agree with Kiri, you stated it in such a beautiful and simple way. ^_^

    I wanted to let you know I've awarded you over at my blog. You can check it out here: http://musingsofanelf.blogspot.com/2014/02/sunflower-dearest.html

    Oh! And for some reason you posts haven't been showing up on my dashboard. D: So I had to unfollow your blog and then follow it back. I hope that works. It better. I love your posts and I don't want to keep missing them!

    ReplyDelete